Download the mp3
Charity is unselfish, expecting nothing in return.
Types of Love Mentioned in the Bible
- Agape – unselfish, loyal, benevolent concern.
- Agape love is based on action. It is a command and does not depend on “feelings.” This form of love is referred to 320 times in the New Testamnt.
- Eros – romantic, sexual love.
- Phileo – tender affection, brotherly love
- This type of love is referred to 415 times in the New Testament and mostly in negative terms. It’s more passive than agape.
How do I know that I am really loving with agape love?
First you must know how the Bible defines real love.
- Love suffers long.
- True love is patient. How patient are you with church members who are not like you?
- Love is kind.
- How do you treat others?
- Love rejoices in truth.
- What you believe affects your eternal soul. Seek honesty.
- Love bears and endures all things.
Next you must know what real love is NOT!
- Love is not envious.
- Love vaunteth not itself (no bragging).
- Love is not puffed up or proud.
- Love does not behave unseemly (rude, disrespectful)
- Love seeks not her own (not selfish)
- Love is not easily provoked.
- Love thinks no evil (or hold grudges)
- Love does not rejoice in evil.
1 Corinthians 13:13