The promised land is not heaven, but it's where God wants us to be in the meantime.
- Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice
- Written by Paul in prison
- Why are so many Christians unhappy?
Israelites miserable in slavery in Egypt
- Exodus 1:14, 3 - God heard the Israelites in Egyptian slavery
- 1 Corinthians 10:1-4
- Spiritual Deliverance - God delivered them out of Egypt
- Spiritual Guidance - pillar of fire in the day and a pillar of cloud in the night
- Spiritual Leadership - Moses
- Spiritual Diet - God provided them with manna and water
- Spiritual Protection - God was watching over them and protecting them
Three types of people
- 1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1
- Natural man - has a God-sized hole in their heart and are looking for joy everywhere except in God
- Carnal man - accepted Jesus as Savior, but still living in sin, which brings to true, lasting joy
- Spiritual man - saved and living in the Spirit where God gives us true peace and joy
Israelites unhappy after deliverance out of Egypt
- Numbers 11:1-3, 5-6, 10-11, 18-20, 33-34
- Numbers 13
- Numbers 14:1-4, 7-9
Egypt, the Wilderness or the Promised Land
- Egypt is our state before we are saved. We can have selective memory about the conditions in Egypt, looking back longingly on our previous life, remembering the good things and forgetting the bad.
- The wilderness is our spiritual journey after we are saved, to get where God wants us to be. We are not supposed to stay in the wilderness.
- Focus on what God wants you to do: get to the promised land, where true spiritual peace and joy is.
What is going to keep you from reaching the promised land?
- There will always be obstacles on your journey to the promised land. Don't let the obstacles stop you from moving forward.
- Psalms 103:1-5, 8-14, 17
- Micah 7:18-19
- 1 John 2:15-17